Wednesday, July 27, 2011
Did you know Matt Hasselbeck is a Titan?
Doesn't seem like it. It took me a while to find it on twitter this morn...errrr afternoon. There hasn't been a lot of talk about the signing and I can't say I'm shocked by the lack of fan reaction. I forgot we signed him 2 hours after I saw the news.
While this will not be the biggest NFL free agent signing this off season by any means, it is a very good one.
The biggest knock on Matt Hasselbeck is his age. He's entering his 13th NFL season and sat out for most of the 2008 season with back problems and those injuries came back to hamper Hasselbeck early last season. Recently he has struggled with turnovers; over the past 3 seasons he has thrown 34 TD/44 INT. Not pretty.
With that said, Hasselbeck was the Titan's best option. He won 4 division titles with the Seahawks and made a super bowl appearance in 2005. He is a true leader, a hard worker and a winner. The Titans signed Anti-Vince.
Hasselbeck is very underrated. A lot of that has to do with his age and the fact he plays in the Northwestern market, so us Southerners don't talk about him much through our strings and tin cans. He is solid to say the least, he has a helluva arm and knows how to orchestrate an offense. He as an all time completion percentage of 60.1% and has thrown 176 career TD passes and with only 128 picks, that's excellent for 13 year career.
Now, I'm not saying Hasselbeck will make Tennessee a playoff team or a AFC South contender but it certainly makes them more competitive. Of course, we don't know what Jake Locker will bring to the table but I think this is the perfect signing for a team without a proven veteran QB. The Titans return a solid receiving core (with Kenny Britt). The Titan's main concern now is getting the CJ1.3K deal done. With a happily signed Chris Johnson, healthy Matt Hasselbeck and a un-incarcerated Kenny Britt the Titans might not be who we thought they were going be. Actually, scratch that... forgot about the defense.
Fun fact about Matt Hasselback: he has been struck by lighting TWICE. I mean...what the fuck? Hopefully that's a bit of foreshadowing for his career... even though it probably isn't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment