Photo cred to Bobby Nichols
As I have done for just about every day this summer, I wake up at 12 and check my twitter, facebook and Vandysports.com. In my twitter feed a friend tweeted @Skrillex "What are you doing in Nashville?" And I flipped. I knew he was in Huntsville the night before because I actually thought of driving down their to visit a friend and see the show, since Huntsville is only 90 minutes away and tickets were $40. He followed up by tweeting that he was doing a secret show with Porter Robinson and Zedd. I had to find that motherfucker. After about 4 hours of texting, facebook messaging and stalking the consensus was that he was going to do a show at 12th and Porter at 10 o'clock. It was one of my best friend's birthday and I had already planned on seeing on Horrible Bosses with him so I didn't get there till about 9:50. I stood in line for a good hour before a friend of mine made up some kind of story which apparently made sense to the bouncer so me and a few other friends got to skip the line and got in just as Skrillex was about to come on.The set was comprised of more funky house music than the traditional Skrillex sound of high energy heavy dubstep on his most recent albums. He said this was what he plays at his after shows in his tour bus and has never played this stuff on tour. While it may have been the hottest and most humid room I have ever been in, I was literally standing right next to Sonny. It was unreal. It was like the LCD Soundsystem song, "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House" Just so close to some one you admire for their music and the way they carry themselves. This was Sonny and crew's "day off". He didn't have to come to a small, hot and steamy club in the South to play at 1 AM.
Unfortunately, because of the heat and some shit that went down outside (drunk bitch fight) a lot of people left early so he didn't come back out to play another set that I imagined would have been a compilation of his album, "My Name is Skrillex" and his more popular remixes.
Even though it wasn't in the best venue, nor did Sonny play his more popular stuff, it was still one of my favorite shows of all time. As my friend Jack Warne put as his facebook status, "Skrillex surprise gig. Best clusterfuck I've ever been a part of."

No comments:
Post a Comment